LiDAR Mapping Case Study
The scope of this project was to map a road corridor which includes Earth works, highways, Road markings, Vehicle restraint systems, Fencing, Drainage, Traffic signs, Structures, Utilities etc, using mobile and aerial lidar point cloud.
- Automatic classification of lidar point cloud.
- Data clean up and topology
- Breaklines digitized using classified lidar point cloud
- Validation and manual editing of automatic classified data.
LiDAR Point Cloud Classification
Ground surface model was created and was manually validated and edited to get proper ground surface classification.
- Proposed breaklines were digitized using ground surface model or intensity mode of lidar point cloud.
- Ground level breaklines were draped on ground surface to get 3D elevation.
- Elevated breakline features were captured using cross sectional view, which automatically will have 3D elevation.
- Off-highway breakline features such as slopes, fencing, drainage, embankments, water bodies, were captured using aerial lidar data.
- Both mobile and aerial lidar data mapping feature were integrated, checked for any edge match issue.
- Data cleanup and topology checks were done on the entire data.
A process guidelines document was prepared. Expertise with stringent knowledge in mapping helps in the final round of quality analysis. A random sample was analyzed to make sure the data was within the acceptance criterion.